Tuesday, March 5, 2013

In the "spotlight" with Baby Mia

Meet the new generation of pregnant women...Violeta ran marathons up until her 8th month!
One of my passions is to run .. I'm a runner and I've been thru a lot since I started back in 2009 physically and mentally, but always with huge rewards.
It wasn't after I found out I was pregnant that the hardest was yet to come, not knowing what to expect and learning so much in the process, has make this a wonderful journey of perseverance, strength, and will power which only has made me a stronger person.

Running was tough to do while carrying my baby, being pregnant is already tough on a woman's body, not to mention all the symptoms that occur during this time and it seems I had them all. I was sick to my stomach for 4 months which eating wasn't so pleasant, low iron (anemic) also makes a pregnant woman feel tired all the time, pregnancy also makes joints weaker, a previous condition from a car accident (sciatic nerve) from a fractured spine made running very painful as the baby got heavier. Many times I thought of quitting but I had the support of my fiance Steve Heisler, which many times dragged me out to run, and all the encouragement from my running peeps. But every time, crossing that finish line and realizing I had yet again accomplish a goal made me forget about all the struggles and pain.
Always trying no to overhear my body, not to overwork my heart and keeping hydrated I manage to complete 5 full marathons, 5 half marathons and 1 5K and many miles of training in between since the first week of my pregnancy till the 38th week.
 
This was my journey and how I felt:
Pasadena RNR half marathon 02/19/2012, only days pregnant, finish that race feeling strong and earning a huge PR.
 Beach Mania half marathon 03/04/2012 at 2 weeks pregnant, I was beginning to feel baby taking my strength as I finish 10 min later my PR time, even tho I didn't know I was pregnant at that time.
The Honda LA Marathon 03/18/2012 at 4 weeks, low iron made a difference on my performance, baby being a little peanut still needing nutrients and already making me feel weak, even tho I earned a course PR by almost an hr.
 Rockin the Marina half marathon 04/29/2012 at 11 weeks, I had no training what so ever for this race feeling so sick that I had no desire to run, but it was a very special day as was Steve's first half marathon ever and the start of another whole journey for him, we ran and finish a race together for the very first time.
The OC half marathon 05/06/2012 at 12 weeks. still feeling sick to my stomach and tired manage to finish only 6 min after my half PR, it was a very nice race and I was glad to see many people before, during and after the event.
 The Pasadena Marathon 05/20/2012 at 14 weeks. The Pasadena Marathon was my second full marathon running pregnant as I was still learning things about running with a little bundle was very cautious, ran while it was cool in the am but it got really hot as the time I reached mile 18 , to avoid my body from overheating I walk and run the rest of the marathon thinking on baby's safety first. That day we passed the 90's ... it was a very hot day.
Ojai to Ocean Marathon 06/03/2012 at 16 weeks. Feeling better from the nausea and a bit stronger Ojai was a very good run, the lack of training made it a little hard to finish but Steve paced me for the last 6 miles.
Run in the sun marathon 07/09/2012 at 5 months and 1 week. This marathon was tough because it was most running on concrete, baby already heavy and low in my hips made it painful to finish.
The San Francisco Marathon 07/29/2012 at 6 months. One of the most beautiful marathons in my opinion, I ran half the distance and walk the other half, loving every single mile, seeing many friends along the course.
ET Full Moon half marathon 08/05/2012 at 6 months and 1 week. This is a run at midnight, in a elevation point of 5000 ft... very tough, I just had run a full marathon a week before, Baby was already low and in my bladder, even tho I was tired I wasn't going to quit.
 
Los Angeles Rock n Roll 10/28/2012 at 38 weeks. After many visits with my doctor he did not approved for me to do the total distance of a marathon or half marathon but only a mini marathon 5K. It was very fun and I had my two daughters to do their first 5K with me.
 
I Kept active walking and jogging till the very last day of my pregnancy. I do come across people and I always tell them if a pregnant woman can do it, pretty much everyone can do it. I am now happy to say I have accomplish a lot from having a healthy pregnancy, healthy weight gain and I had a healthy 8lbs 7oz baby with no complications and a easy delivery. I made no excuses for myself not to do what I love, having two teen kids, dealing with work and taking care of a home besides my pregnancy was never an excuse for me to stay home sitting on a couch. 

After baby Mia was born I'm back at running, so far I've completed 4 half marathons, first one when baby was  6 weeks old, the week after I ran the second and two weeks after I ran the third the following week I ran the 4th improving times at each one of them, now I am currently training to run The Los Angeles Marathon in two weeks where Mia will be 3 months old, I have drop 19 lbs of that extra weight after delivery and I'm feeling stronger as time passes by.  Being a pregnant marathon runner has been an amazing experience, yet the road does not stop here since I have much work to do now that my baby girl is born, getting back to where I was in fitness also hopping to reach new goals and PR's.
Once again I thank Yolanda for letting me share my journey as I think there's very little information about running and pregnancy.
-Violeta-








No comments:

Post a Comment