Thursday, December 6, 2018

2018 Inspiring People of the Year AJ Mitchell

Keep Dreaming and Smiling




So my story starts off with me having Spina Bifida and being paralyzed from my waist down. I have never ever let that hold me back though. I have played every sport known to man lol, my favorites were baseball and basketball when I was younger.  


I was the only wheelchair player on a baseball team for close to 15 years. I started racing wheelchairs when I was about 9 racing other disabled athletes in 100 and 200 meter races.




I really wanted to continue my basketball career but in 2009 I had to undergo a kidney transplant and they advised me to stay away from close contact sports that's when I found marathon racing.  In 2012 I entered my first 5k, 2013 my first half Marathon 3 that year then in 2014 I stepped it up to Full Marathons.






Now 4 years later I am 10 Full Marathons and about 15 Half Marathons into my Career, I am enjoying every moment. My dream is to reach the Boston Marathon and the Paralympics. I come from a pretty competitive family work ethic, and I think I got the larger work ethic out of my family to push hard and do my best.







My favorite motto is "Challenge me and I will succeed". 
-A.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment