Tuesday, December 18, 2018

2018 Inspiring People of the Year Kit Brazier

66 Years Young, Grandmother of 20 and a Ultra Marathoner

I started running in the early 70's and ran for UCLA track and cross country for 2 years.  UCLA had a small team of runners - just 7 women.  I was able to run through most of my 8 pregnancies - which included 9 children.  I got a set of twin boys at the end.  I can't remember not loving to run.  


As I got older I shifted to ultra distances and have made the most amazing life long friends - basically we are a big happy family.  I have run 83 marathon/ultras.  In 1977 I did a 50K in 5:20 in Camarillo, Ca.  My fastest marathon time is 3:29.  I have finished 4 100-mi. races.  I am 66 years young and am still signing up for races.  



I will run Jackpot in Nevada - I am a Legacy runner for that race, Vol State 314 in Tennessee and heaven only knows how many others.  I am so blessed to be able to run these races.  I have 20 grandchildren with 1 on the way.  5 of my nine kids have run marathons and my 3rd son Seth just qualified for Boston.  They are all runners - including my husband who doesn't want to admit he is a runner.  


Running as a family has brought us closer together.  I like Jeffrey R. Holland's quote " Don't you quit - you keep walking, you keep trying, there is help and happiness ahead."  I feel running has not only made me a better person but has helped me be a better wife and mother.  There is nothing better than helping each other get to the finish line.  
-Kit-  

No comments:

Post a Comment