Tuesday, December 4, 2018

2018 Inspiring People of the Year Annette Fredskov

An ordinary woman - an extraordinary journey



We have a saying in Denmark that goes, the trees do not grow into the sky, meaning that there is an upper limit to everything, and I say NO. I have learned that being realistic sets limitations, and we can do so much more than most people believe. I know in my heart that I can do anything, I believe in and set my mind to. Now, that is how I live my life every day, but it has not always been like that.

When I was younger I had a low self-esteem and I struggled. Seen from the outside I did well, but the inside of me was sometimes a mess, and I was not really aware of the fact, that my life was my responsibility no matter what. I did not see that I always have a choice. That changed. Today I am a happy girl having the time of my life - every day.


The huge change happened ten years ago, a year after I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). At first, I was a good patient and my focus was on being sick. It was like I feed the MS with all my thoughts about illness, fear and limitations, so it grew and got bigger. One day I had enough. It was like I woke up and realized, that I had another choice. I could choose to focus on my options and focus on being as healthy as possible. That day I decided, that no matter what I will start every day making a choice to have the best day possible. I have done that ever since and it has made all the difference in the world. The change of my focus from fear to trust, being 97 percent positive instead of 60 percent, seeing only opportunities and speaking the language of love. Wow, that rocks.


About the same time, I fell in love with running even though I have never been good at sports. When I grew up I tried different kinds of sports, but it never lasted for long. I didn’t belong, and I was definitely not competitive. A couple of years before the MS diagnosis I started running 5-7 kilometers 2-3 times a week. At first, I did not enjoy it, but I did it anyway, because of my two kids. I wanted to be a good example for them and in addition I wanted to exercise to stay healthy and live long.  When I got the MS diagnosis I kept running on my good days, but the doctor said to me to be careful, and then he told me that I could never run a marathon. At first, I believed him, but then I started taking responsibility for my life focusing on positive thinking and being healthy, and as I felt better and better, the thought came to mind: It is my life and my responsibility, and I decide whether or not I can run a marathon, and I decided, I CAN DO IT. So, I set a goal to run Frankfurt Marathon in October 2010, and that was love at first sight. I was so fascinated about my body and mind working together to create the best version of me. I ran 40 marathons the first year and then I got the thought: It would be amazing to run a marathon each day for a year? With the support of my family, friends and people from all over the world, it became a reality. The dream came through. The trees did grow up in the sky. I ran 366 marathons in 365 days. 366 because I ran 2 marathons the last day to make it a great final.


When I crossed the finish line, my only thought was thanks. I was so grateful, and I felt like a part of something bigger. I felt supported by something I could not describe. From that day on spirituality was a part of my life, and today a very important part of my life. It led me to changing my name and right now I am actually doing clairvoyance training. I would never have thought that 10 years ago.   Why I did it – ran 366 marathons in 365 days? Besides from my love for running marathon. Humans can achieve so much more than most people think. To run a marathon every day for an entire year – most people did not believe that was possible, but I believed, and I did it. We are the ones who set the limits for our body with our mind and spirit. I am honored to play a part in breaking these limits, and I will keep doing it. Two years after finishing I ran from Denmark to Paris, France - 1130 kilometres in 19 days. Crazy ideas - I am all in. 24 hours and 172 kilometres on a treadmill was crazy, but possible. I absolutely love it, and that is also why, I am doing it. It makes me happy.



I am just an ordinary woman, who found my inner strength, which I believe we all have. When I can do it, you can do it too. Do what makes you happy. That is what life is all about – being happy. We are all meant to be happy, live happy lives, be surrounded by happy people, doing things that makes us happy. Today I have no symptoms of MS, and I do not take any medication. MS is not a part of my live anymore, and very important, I am not afraid of MS. I have convinced myself, that I am healthy and will stay healthy, and if anything happens, I now know that I have a choice to make the best of the situation no matter what.
Running marathons still makes me happy. I have set a goal to run my marathon number 7oo to Copenhagen Marathon in May 2019. It is also fun to run ultramarathons, and in the future, I want to increase the distance and severity. There is so many great adventures out there. A huge dream for me is Barkley Marathons, maybe the hardest race in the world, and I would love to participate. I saw a documentary about it, and it is unbelievable. So few finish the race, and wouldn’t it be great, if it could be me. 



Most importantly I am the proud mother of Emilie, 17 and Viktor, 15. They believe in my and have supported me all the way. We love adventures and travelling. The summer of 19 will be special with a trip to the US.

Life is amazing and filled with opportunities, if you believe and have faith. I do - and I can do it. So can you.
Love you guys.

Aneste

My first book is translated to English and can be bought on Amazon.  






No comments:

Post a Comment