Sunday, June 19, 2011

In the "Spotlight" with Kimberly

Meet the courageous and beautiful Kimberly from Arizona.  I love her no excuses lifestyle!
When I share with people that I am a three time cancer survivor many are surprised. I am very thankful. I have had breast cancer, melanoma and basil cell carcinoma. Each time I faced cancer I never expected anything except surviving, there are just too many experiences that I have yet to enjoy. Because of my medical history being active and eating well have become increasingly important to me. I am currently studying nutrition at a local community college with plans of using the knowledge I gain to help family and friends learn to fuel their bodies correctly.
When it comes to staying active running has become my favorite way to do so. I started running just about 4 years ago when my husband suggested that I run the Komen Race for the Cure in Phoenix to celebrate my 10 year anniversary of being cancer free. I thought it was a wonderful idea and trained for about 3 weeks.
In Phoenix the survivors all are given special pink t-shirts and get to run in the Survivors’ Only Race. I came in top 10 after only training for 3 week. That motivated me to continue running and training. In 2009 and 2010 I came in first place in the Survivors’ Race. I still enjoy local 5 Ks but lately have turned my attention to longer endurance runs. I ran my first 50 Ks last year at Pemberton and completed my first 50 miler this year at Old Pueblo and another again at The Nanny Goat 24 hour.
-Kimberly-

 

No comments:

Post a Comment