Monday, September 17, 2012

Endure the Bear 50K - 9/8/2012

ENDURE THE BEAR 50K - 9/8/2012
Big Bear Lake California
Endure the Bear was a bitter sweet event for me because in 2010 I got the phone call that my brother James died of a massive heart attack.  The cell service up in the mountains is limited and the call that he died was the only call that came through.  Last weekend I got a call during a marathon that my mom had a massive stroke.  God is good and without my journey not sure how I would have gotten through it. 
 
 
It was a beautiful day in Big Bear Lake with temperatures reaching in the high 80's and I was truly blessed that neither altitude nor heat was an issue. The course was very hilly and hard. I finished in 8:50:43.
It was nice to see Nancy again and I met Sandy and this was her first 50K and she finished.
 
 
MARATHON MADNESS - 9/9/2012
Santa Monica California
 
Marathon Madness was held in beautiful Santa Monica California and this is a new course for Rocket Racing Productions.  It's always a pleasure to see the amazing Julie Weiss.  Julie is running 52 marathons in 52 weeks for pancreatic cancer.  Check out her website;  www.marathongoddness.com
I finished 6:15:41
 
 
SUMMER SPECTACULAR MARATHON 9/15/2012
Santa Monica California

 
I love the new course in Santa Monica.  We run through Santa Monica Pier to Will Rogers Beach and back through Venice Beach.  I met the lovely Christy today.  It was a beautiful hot day!  High 80's but felt like the high 90's.  I finished 6:38:58
 
Move ahead...
Life continually teaches. We eventually learn.  The lessons take their toll on us, but we do survive.  It's like getting a degree in hard knocks and finally graduating...to the promise of better days ahead.  It's like getting your passport stamped:  "Been here, done that, managed to make it through."
 
There are no guarantees that you won't have to go back to "school" for a refresher course, or that you'll never have to make a difficult journey again.  But you're older, wiser, and stronger than before, and it's nice to know you can leave yesterday behind.  The price was paid.  Now it's time to move ahead - and do the very best you can.
-Douglas Pagels- 
 
 

"My Journey to Guinness" book is now available!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment