Tuesday, October 21, 2014

In the Spotlight with "Kit Brazier"

Meet Kit Brazier

Mother of 9 kids, 13 grand kids, teaches kindergarten, an ultra marathoner and she’s over 60!!!


 I started running at UCLA in 1972 and loved it.  I ran track and cross-country for UCLA for 2 years.  Running was the best part of UCLA.  My first first marathon was the Santa Monica marathon in 1975.  I was hooked. In 1977 I ran my first ultra (50K) and I finished in 5:20 which put me as the 7th fastest woman in the US for a 50K.  I also ran a 3:29 marathon that year and qualified for Boston. 

 When I was dating my husband I took him on a long run down San Vicente to Marina Del Rey (17 miles) and he didn't complain but kept with me.  He always encouraged me to run. 

We have been married for 36 years and have had 9 children.  I wanted a big family and  feel that running through the pregnancies and running with the kids made me a better mom.  As a young mother with a lot of kids, running was my time to think and sharpen my skills to be a better mom. 

 As a young mother with a lot of kids, running was my time to think and sharpen my skills to be a better mom.  I always felt so rejuvenated when I would come back from running and I was a better mom, more energetic, happier, plus I made my closest friends from running.



In the past 40 years I have run almost 50 marathons including ultras.  Since I turned 60 I have become a marathon maniac and I have met the most amazing, inspiring people.  I am a grandma of 13 kids and I have enjoyed this stage of my life so much - and a big part of that is running.
 I teach Kindergarten and have my students run daily - all of my 9 kids run and 3 have run marathons.  They are the best supporters and my #1 fans.  
I am truly blessed.
-Kit Brazier-

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great article of a great woman...glad I got to meet you at St. George...we are so similar in many many ways....children wise and grandchildren too

    ReplyDelete
  2. That post was from Shirlee Webb, who didn't know how to post...

    ReplyDelete