Saturday, December 17, 2016

21 Days of Inspiration and Motivation - Day 17 with Mare Cara

Beauty, Brains & Running
Running, in some way or another, has always been part of my life. In elementary and high school, I participated in the cross country team. However, my interest in running was put on hold once I started university. After 7 years and 3 degrees later, I found myself with extra weight that didn't make me feel good about myself. I thought that getting back to running would help me lose weight. I started running 2-3 times a week and decided to sign up for a half marathon. I trained on my own and thought I was ready. It was the probably the hardest 21.1km I have ever run. I finished it in 2:45 minutes. As hard as it was, I was hooked on running. It was no longer a medium to lose weight but a medium through which I could challenge myself
I signed up for a marathon clinic shortly after and ran my first marathon in 4:45. I spent the next 3 years trying to qualify for Boston. After 6 attempts, I finally made it to Boston and was privileged enough to run it two times..It was around this time where I started hearing about ultra marathons and was quite fascinated and amazed at those running beyond 42.2km ! I decided to give a 50km race a try and never looked back. Now after 6 years I have completed 78 marathon/ultras most notably the Badwater135 in 2013 and the Volstate 500km in July 2015. I have also had the distinct honour to represent Canada at the world 24 hour championships in 2012 and 2015. 
Running has brought into my life some amazing people and has allowed me to achieve many things I once thought unimaginable.
2015 Badwater crew for runner Joshua Holmes founder of "Run it Fast - The Club"
Never give up on chasing your dream no matter how big you think it is..
-Mare Cara-

No comments:

Post a Comment